Myself with my MIL, and a couple of her siblings and mother, and my mother and some friends have started a "Book Group". We choose a book to read for the month (or two) and then we will all get on Skype and discuss it. I just finished the first book (The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman), reading it allowed to my mom in 2 days..about time I got it finished though! It was really good and gave me a lot of food for thought. A lot of things I want to 'try' that I think will really benefit my marriage! I love my husband so much. Reading this book has given me some new insight into who he is and what he needs, how he feels loved. What his love language is and how I can best fill his “love tank”! Anyway. Our book club will be discussing it soon. If you haven't read it, it was a GREAT book and I would recommend it to any couple, newly wed or wed for 50 years!
Words of Affirmation
Quality Time
Receiving Gifts
Acts of Service
Physical Touch
My Love Language is 1st Physical touch (hugs from people, cuddling with my hubby, holding my children, etc.) and 2nd, Words of Affirmation. While my least is Receiving Gifts..though I do enjoy those on occasion as well!
My Husband is tied for Physical Touch and Acts of Service , with a super close Quality Time moving in next. Interestingly, we have the same love language..and last as well is receiving gifts..but when he does get them, much prefers the handmade gifts more than any.
It also briefly mentions that, just as we need to know our spouse’s love language to keep each other’s “love tanks” full, our children also have a love language. Best I can tell, G enjoys quality time, and E likes physical touch..perhaps because she can’t ask for anything else at this point, but she sure does enjoy being held and has begun to snuggle more and more, I really enjoy it!
A few quotes I liked from the book:
- “When family members start speaking each other’s primary love language, the emotional climate of a family is greatly enhanced.”
- “When both person’s emotional needs are met, your marriage will take on a whole new dimension.”
- “Forgiveness is the way of love.”
- “Life’s deepest meaning is not found in accomplishments but in relationships.”
- “The object of love is not getting something you want but doing something for the well-being of the one you love.”
- “It is the choice to expend energy in an effort to benefit the other person, knowing that if his or her life is enriched by your effort, you too will find a sense of satisfaction.”
- “When your spouse’s emotional love tank is full and he feels secure in your love, the whole world looks bright and your spouse will move out to reach his highest potential in life.”
What is YOUR love language?
Take the test HERE if you don’t know!
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment